“Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick.” -Gwyneth Paltrow
Like the perfect black dress, red lipstick is a mission to unearth. Then, once you obtain this magical tube and sprint home with it like a hot torch – you find out that it’s just not the right shade. @%&#! This is when you give up and tell everyone you know that red is not your colour.
If you are a white swan with skin of alabaster – chose cool, blueish hinted tones. Très chic.
Opulent olive pretties can get away with warmer tones and coral hues. Glamoureux.
Deliciously darker ethnic skin can pretty much get away with any reds, but I vote rich fucsias. Magnifique.
- Make sure your lips are perfectly smooth and you have a fluid texture to work with. Protecting your lips every day is probably a good idea – Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream is my weapon of choice.
- Line your lips with a pencil that is a shade lighter than the lipstick or the colour of your lips. Trace along your natural lip line or if you have smaller smackers you can go a teensy weency bit outside of the line. *Optional: blend the inside of the line with a clean lip brush.
- Fill in between the lines with the lipstick of choice using a lip brush. Blot. Paint again, smoothing the liner and lipstick so that there are no hard edges. *Optional: if your lips are smaller – dab and blend a lighter colour in the middle of your lower lip for the illusion of fullness.
- Kiss the mirror.
- When your ovaries grow big enough to rock the red – remember that you are making a statement so everything else on your face should be subdued.
- Light shimmery eyes with a coat of mascara is perfectly appropriate.
- Don’t match your blush to your lipstick – a light shade or just a cheekbone highlighter will do the trick.
- Teeth whitener is your friend.
Now you really have no excuse. Go out there and wreak havoc everywhere you go with your pout. Kiss envelopes, napkins and cheeks. Make all your admirers swoon. Make me proud.